Friday, September 14, 2012

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

God Blessed the broken road that led me straight to you. Looking back at my past sometimes I still feel broken and battered. Not physically battered, but emotionally. I have been through a lot, but who hasn't these days.

A couple of years ago we lost a good friend. Chance Threet was killed in a car accident at age 20. It is still so unreal to me. There are times when I question why, why him? But I know that this isn't a question that will ever be answered. His work here on earth was done and the Lord needed him there.

Songs bring back memories, pictures, vehicles that I see pass by me. Sometimes I wish that we could go back to high school. That we could go to that State Championship football game all over again and watch them win, just to see the smiles on those boys' faces. To hear the laughter and happiness that it brought to them. I wish we could go back in time just to hear Chance mumble along with the music in the row behind me. To see all of us teenagers serving the adults at the Valentine's Day dinner. Our air soft gun fight that ended up with a welt on Chance's forehead, and me hiding on top of the sink in the bathroom so he couldn't shoot me under the door, begging and pleading for forgiveness. His huge, contagious smile. Watching Friday Night Lights every time we were all together. I still can't get through that whole movie, it's just not the same. County fair. Ohhh the memories of country fair. The guys roping in the church parking lot, the school parking lot, actually every where. Rodeos, stories, campfires, Sonic after football games (when Calvin would let me go of course. Darn overprotective big brother :] ) Chance pulling the E-Brake in Calvin's little red car every opportunity he gets. Calvin wrecking his Jimmy at the high school, when "the accelerator stuck", I still don't believe that.

I hold these memories and more so close to my heart. I'm so lucky to have been able to have Chance as a friend. He was so much like a brother to me. I wish that I would have told him how much I appreciated him looking out for me and watching my back. He was a great friend to both my brother and myself. I wish he could have been here to meet Kaylyn.

Chance's family is so strong. I look up to Rod, Char, and PJ. They are family to me. They have always been here for me and I hope that I can return the favor. Peyton is an adopted uncle to my little girl. I loved watching him make her smile while we were in Colorado.

It is the little things in life. I have learned to pray, to tell people how much they mean to me. I know that I don't do it enough and that is something I will work on. You never know how long you have, or how long someone else has. Be the best that you can be every day of your life, and at the end of the day, thank the Lord for what He has given you. Pray, and pray more. Be faithful and the Lord will provide.

The good seems to shadow over the bad. I hold those precious memories to my heart, always will.

That broken road that I once walked down has made me into a better person. It has led me back to my high school sweetheart and now I have a beautiful family. I can't imagine my life any other way and will strive to be the best mother that I can be to my daughter. Today, and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment