Wednesday, October 26, 2011

You've Got a Friend in Me


All your life there are going to be people who come and go. After high school, your friends disappear. You move away from each other and lose contact. In college, you may make some amazing friends and have roommates that you never want to lose touch with. But in all reality, you will lose contact with most of them over time.

They say that you find out who your friends are. I've decided that I choose who my friends are. There are some people who will make it a point to stay in your life just so they can know what is going on with you. They will talk about the things you say or do. They may gossip, they may spread rumors and talk crap. To me, this is not a friend. You may care about this person, and enjoy their company. But do you really need that in your life.

What is a true friend? A true friend is someone who you can go almost two years without talking to and know that in the end, he/she will always be there for you. My bestest friend in the whole wide world was in a relationship with a guy for two years. It wasn't the best relationship, and eventually it ended. At this same time, I was also in a relationship that more or less, did not last. She and I hardly talked to each other in these two years except to say hi and talk about how much of an idiot our boyfriends were being at the time. We began to grow apart, but really, we were only growing closer together. You may not get to see your "true friends" every day. You may not even be able to talk to them but maybe a few times a week. But I guarantee you that they will still be there no matter what.

When I moved to Ft. Campbell, I told my husband that I didn't want or need friends here. There were the people I worked with, and I saw them at work and that was it. I didn't really talk to them outside of work, and didn't feel a need for it. Weston introduced me to people, and we were "friends". Not any more. I have made a decision to stop hanging out with the people who only cause more drama and stress in my life. I don't need to go watch people get drunk and fight because they can't handle themselves and their relationships. I am done with that.

You might be wondering... Do I still hang out with people here? Do I hang out with other Army Wives if I am so against the drama that they create? Well, I see a million and a half of them every day at work. Are they my best friends? Let me tell you... No one will replace my best friend. There are some people that I hang out with on occasion from work. They are grown-ups. They don't get in drunken fights. They are mature enough to know when to stop, they are mature enough not to start drama and the bull crap that goes with it. It is nice to be around other people who have kids and know what I am going through with this pregnancy.

I will always depend on my friends from home. We have a tight knit group of friends from Pueblo/Pueblo West and I know that they support me 100% no matter what. My husband sure does have some of the best friends in the world from home, and I am so happy that they have welcomed me into their families!

I will stand up for myself, and I will get rid of the problem causers in my life. There are very few Army Wives out there who really care about you as a person. Most of them are bored and have nothing better to do with their lives than start up drama. It is about time that they got off the couch and stopped living off their husbands. Get a job, grow up. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment