Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Thyroid Suggestions

I don't have a thyroid, they killed it when I was ten
with radio-active iodine. But here is what it
looks like in a normal person. lol
From now on I am going to take what my primary care Dr. and my OB have to say about my thyroid with a grain of salt. I will write down their opinions and ask my Endocrinologist about it. Apparently they left out some very important information. My thyroid levels have been more whack than normal for the last almost 3 months. I knew that being pregnant would affect the levels, the Endocrinologist said by 30% when I saw him today, but no one told me that prenatal vitamins needed special attention. I have been taking these vitamins since July 6th, approximately. As the thyroid Dr. reviewed my lab results he noticed a significant drop (actually rise in TSH) in my levels. They are at ridiculous amounts right now and need to be under control, especially while I am pregnant. When I told him that I am on prenatal vitamins he told me that I have to take them at least 4 hours after my thyroid meds. If taken together or any sooner, the vitamins will bind with the Levoxyl and I will not get the proper amount of medicine.

Well shoot, that would have been nice to know a long time ago! I am a little bit frustrated with the military Dr.'s but overall I am glad that I am finding this out sooner rather than later. I can't take my vitamins at night because they make me sick, so I was taking them in the mornings with my other meds. From now on, I will be taking them at lunch time. I have to go back to Nashville in two weeks to see the Endocrinologist again. It sounds like I will be making A LOT of trips there during this pregnancy, then have more time in between visits once the baby is here. So, now here is praying that my new dose is the correct one and I can get steady thyroid levels back in my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment