Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The End of The Road

On my way to my mom's house I picked up grandma since we live close by and she doesn't drive. I kept apologizing to her for the wind coming in my wired-up broken window, and she just said, "as long as it runs". Well, yes, my car has been faithful to me, it is the little things that make it time to get a new vehicle. The Pueblo West wind was horrible, as always, and that made the whole window situation worse. Grandma gave me the family history on the way there. Not only that, but the history of Penrose and which houses were the first around as we passed them. She told be about the old railroad that used to run to Cripple Creek that is no longer there. Things that I would have never known without doing some research. I'm not a history buff, so pretty much things that I would have never known. These are the times that I cherish with Grandma. Her passing on stories that I will always remember and be able to pass on to my kids as we make that drive.

As we were driving down the highway, a loud boom scared the crap out of me, and I thought that I had blown a back tire. Really?! The one day that I have my 85? year old grandma with me, I have car problems. I pulled over to the side of the road and put on those flashers. It is a dang good thing that I had jeans on over my cocktail dress, and a pea coat for warmth. Otherwise I am certain that all who passed would have gotten a free show. Stepping onto the highway, I saw that in fact, my brand new tire was just fine. However, my back bumper was partially detached and the load noises must have been caused by wind blowing it up against the tire.

After calling my mom I decided that I could fix it myself. I popped the trunk open and braved the wind again, just in time for the wind to blow it shut. Back to the driver's door I went, and popped it again. This time, I dashed towards the back of the car and stuck my upper body inside in search of my Athletic Training kit. My athletic tape would have to do the job until I could get to my destination. It really was a beautiful tape job, and I was quite confident in it. Grandma and I set back onto the highway to mom's house once again. A little farther down the road I called a friend who's parents lived close, and she told me to stop on by because grandpa was at the shop. He liked my tape job, but said he had a bolt that would do the job. He screwed that sucker in and we were on the road again.

None the less, we made it to the Bridal Shower in one piece. Amen for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment