Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Planning our Future Together

We knew that we wanted to get engaged and married, it was only a matter of when and how. Since Weston is stationed in South Korea, it made things a little more difficult. He wanted to do things right and have him ask my dad's permission first, and of course, he had to ask me in person. We began talking about the options. March was so far away, and we didn't necessarily want to wait that long. New ideas were always on the table, but just like the Army, things change all the time. It was kind of funny how things worked out.... Both him and I knew exactly what was going on the whole time. I told him my ring size and he was SUPPOSED to write that information down. I gave Weston a website to look at for Moissanite rings. He took care of picking out the ring and ordering it with the help of his mom. This huge secret was not so much of a secret. First off, him and I had already talked about everything. Second off, he forgot what ring size I needed and while his mom was sitting across the room from me, he asked me what size I needed so he could tell his mom... Such a huge secret :) haha.

Eventually, we decided that he would come home on leave sometime. It was supposed to be a surprise, but we've learned that nothing is a surprise around here. Weston was only going to tell his dad and one of his friends about the trip home so that he could buy the plane ticket and Kris could pick him up from the air port.. However, he ended up telling me saying, that he couldn't keep it a secret any more. So now, it was just a secret from his mom and sister. My father-in-law, Daniel, ended up having to tell his wife, Sharon, about the trip home when they were at a doctors appointment. Sharon was diagnosed with cancer and had to have it removed. They wanted to schedule the surgery for the day that Weston was to arrive home, so they moved the appointment. Now his sister, Samantha was the only one left. My friend and I wanted to go dress shopping for an outfit for me to wear to the airport, and Samantha came along. We had it all planned out. We made up a great story about how Lori and I had a school event to attend and that is why I needed a dress. We went to Ross and found the perfect dress. It was all great and dandy. I came home and put on the dress to show Sharon and she said, "Oh I get it, that is the dress to pick up Weston in..." AND the secret was out.

I hired a good friend of mine from SGPhotography to come to the airport with us and take pictures. On October 18, Weston left South Korea. He was able to catch an earlier flight than planned, and only had a few minutes to tell me so while on Facebook in the Japan airport. He said he would arrive in Colorado around 2-3pm on October 18th. (Korea is a day ahead, so this trip was about 18 hours long for him.) We went to the airport and rushed through security. Of course I wore heals and had to take them off and put them back on in a rush in order to make it to his gate on time.

We made it to his gate, but questioned whether it was the correct gate. SO, we took off looking for the arrivals board. I went to a guest services agent who affirmed that we were at the correct gate the first time, and we rushed back. I held up my welcome home sign as he turned the corner.

My heart had never raced so fast in my life, and my stomach had never done so many backflips. I was so excited to see him. It had been 5 years since we had seen each other in person and not just over Skype. When his lips touched mine, sparks flew! We took more pictures, then headed to the restaurant where my Dad and Debby, and my brother- Calvin, his gf- Sara were to meet us. 


Weston talked to my father that night and received permission to marry me. It was at home in the basement that Weston asked me if I wanted to be proposed to in front of a bunch of people, or if I just wanted my ring. Weston got down on one knee and asked me to marry him that night. I didn't care for a huge, public show. It was perfect, and we were engaged. My engagement ring is so beautiful, he did a GREAT job! So now, we had two weeks together. We planned on getting married while he was home. We had already made arrangements with my Pastor, and two people to be our witnesses. We were going to do a private ceremony with just the 5 of us, but plans changed again. Weston's mom went to the hospital to have her surgery and when they opened her up, we found out that it wasn't just stage 2 cancer, it was stage 4, and it was better if they just left the lung alone and didn't remove any thing. This news was unexpected, but there was hope. The Wells family is very optimistic, and it is all in the Lord's hands. Weston and I decided that we should include the family in our marriage events. It was concluded that we would get married at the hospital chapel and keep our plans for a larger wedding later the next year. The date would be 11-11-11, deployment pending. 


On October 24, 2010, we got married. What was supposed to be a very simple thing turned into a huge ordeal, and the hospital nurses decorated the chapel and bought us a cake. It was a very memorable day, and we are so thankful for everyone who helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment