Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Spirit

I have mixed feelings about Christmas this year. My husband is in Korea and I wish I could spend our first married Christmas together. However, I got to see him for Thanksgiving, and that was the best Christmas present ever. Samantha decorated the house and then we made a fireplace on the wall out of fabric, recycled paper, and all kinds of fun stuff. Flashing Christmas lights seal the deal and the fake fire makes it look legit. Good enough for our purposes. Is it bad that after that craft project I felt accomplished? In all my years of school, I've learned how to do craft projects-- see, college is overrated after all!
Our fireplace

I've already done 2 Christmas parties, and have several more to go. The first was the Wells family party. We traveled to Greeley for that one just a couple of days after I got home from Korea. The next one was at the Wetmore Baptist Church. The children put on their program for everyone and we had a delicious meal to go along with it. Coming up, we have one at my mom's on Christmas Eve, my dad's on Christmas, Weston's parents on the 28th... As far as I know, that is all. 
Christmas Program @ Wetmore Baptist Church
Weston had his Christmas party Friday night and has his secret santa exchange today. I'm glad that his platoon takes care of him. He started receiving the packages that my mom sent yesterday. While talking on Skype, he started devouring the caramel corn... I didn't know that caramel corn was supposed to be sea food, but he advised me otherwise. Yesterday, every door in his barracks had a Christmas card on it from different people all over the country. It is so great that people are supporting the troops, that is what I like to see! 
Overall, I still vote that we move Christmas to July! From what we have heard, Weston may be deployed at this time next year as well. We just have to remember that Jesus is the reason for the season. No matter where you are or what you are doing, it is not about the gifts or Santa. It is about the birth of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. So this Christmas, Weston and I may not be able to be together in the same place for the holiday, but we will be together in celebrating the birth of Christ. Giving thanks for the blessings we have received and our salvation. 


God Bless this holiday season. Keep warm and safe, and please, pray for our soldiers!

No comments:

Post a Comment